On This Page:
If you have administrative access to the Human Resources or Finance systems, you are required to change your IT Account password twice a year (every 180 days).
Note: This requirement only applies to staff and student employees with administrative access to the Human Resources or Finance systems and may not apply to other faculty and staff in your department. If you do not have or no longer need administrative access to these systems, please contact contact the Security Administrator in Administrative Systems (413-545-2119 | email@example.com).
How It Works
- If you allow your password to expire, until you change it, you will not be able to access the Human Resources or Finance systems and other campus technology services that require the IT Account password.
- Once you change your password, your next password change is due 180 days from that date. You will always receive two email reminders before your password is set to expire.
What Do I Need to Do?
Change your password in SPIRE as soon as possible. If you have been logging in to the Human Resources or Finance systems with your NetID and password, you do not need to activate your IT Account (even if you have never used SPIRE before).
Change Your Password in SPIRE | Rules for Passwords | Safe Password Tips
Add a non-UMass email address in SPIRE. If your old password expires, or if you forget your password, we’ll send a temporary password to this address.
Update Email Addresses in SPIRE
- Update your email software (e.g., Microsoft Outlook) and other programs that store your IT Account password. If you need help, contact the IT Help Center.
My Password Expired. Now What?
If your password expired, you can:
- Use the Password Help area on the SPIRE Logon page (look under IT Accounts, right side of the page) to obtain a temporary password. This is an option only if you have a non-UMass email address saved in SPIRE.
- Stop by the IT Help Center (A109 LGRC Lowrise, M - F, 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.) or the Learning Commons & Technical Support Desk (Lower level of the W.E.B. Du Bois Library) with a picture ID.
Why Do I Have to Change My Password?
Mandatory password changes are designed to protect University data and comply with the latest data security standards. Because most employee data is confidential, staff members and student employees with administrative access to the Human Resources and Finance systems need to meet this requirement.