On This Page:
A Choice activity allows you to present a single question to students with multiple responses as possible answers. Each student can then pick one of the given choices. Choice activities are intended for gathering information only and are not gradable.
This activity can be useful as a quick survey of your class, for example to poll students on which readings they want to discuss further in class. It can also be used as a "sign up sheet" by limiting the number of students who are allowed to select each option.
Note: To survey your students with multiple questions, use the Questionnaire activity (see Add a Questionnaire Activity in Moodle.)
- On your course page, click Turn editing on (top right). Editing icons and links will appear.
- Locate the Topic or Weekly Section where you will add the Choice activity. (If you are using the Collapsed topics format, open the Section). At the bottom right of the Section, click + Add an activity or resource. The Activity chooser will open.
In the Activity chooser, select Choice. A description will be displayed at right with links to help documentation. Click Add. The Adding a new Choice page will open.
(Click to Enlarge).
- On the Adding a new Choice page, in the Choice name field, enter a title for the activity (required).
In the Description field, enter the question that you want students to answer (required).
Note: You will specify responses for them to choose from below.
- To display the question on your course page, check Display description on course page. This is only recommended if the question is brief.
- Click on the Options heading to define student response options.
- Click the Allow choice to be updated drop-down menu to configure whether students can change their choice after they have picked a response and saved it. The default is No, meaning that once a student saves their response they cannot change it.
- Click the Allow more than one choice to be selected drop-down menu to configure whether students can select more than one answer. The default is No.
Click the Limit the number of responses allowed drop-down menu if you want to limit the number of students who can pick a particular choice (use this to set up a "sign up sheet" for activities such as group projects or lab sessions):
- No (default) sets no limit on how many students can select a response. When this option is selected, the Limit edit field is disabled under each response option.
- Yes lets you limit the number of students who can choose a particular response. When this option is selected, the Limit field becomes editable under each response option, allowing you to enter a number to specify how many students can choose that response.
Enter the text for each possible response option in the corresponding fields: Option 1, Option 2, etc. If you enabled Limit (above) specify how many users may choose each response option in the Limit field below each option.
Note: There are five option slots provided by default, but options left blank will be ignored. You can add more options by clicking on the Add 3 field(s) to form button.
- Click Save and return to course to return to the main course page, or Save and display to view the activity.
There are several other settings you may choose to configure:
Click on the Availability heading to view and adjust the availability settings.
Restrict answering to this time period
Set start and end dates during which students can submit to this Choice activity. The default is for the Choice to become available immediately and to remain available until the end of the course (i.e., no limit).
Note: These dates are not automatically added to the course Calendar.
- Restrict answering to this time period
Click on the Results heading to view and adjust the results settings.
Publish results: Configure how and when results are displayed to students:
- Do not publish results to students: (default)
- Show results to students after they answer: Allows a student to see results only after they answer the question first.
- Show results to students only after the choice is closed: Allows students to see results only after the closing date/time specified under Restrict answering to this time period.
- Always show results to students: Allows students to see results even if they have not answered the question yet.
Privacy of results: This setting affects how students see results if results are published (above). Note: instructors see student names even if Privacy of results is set to anonymous. Choose between:
- Publish anonymous results, do not show student names: (default) Results are displayed as totals without student names.
- Publish full results, showing names and their choices: Results are displayed as a list of student names for each response.
- Publish results: Configure how and when results are displayed to students:
Show column for unanswered
Configure whether you see a separate column in the results view showing you a list of students who have not answered this question yet. The default is No.
- Click on the Common module settings heading to view and adjust the settings.
Click on the Restrict access heading to view and adjust the settings.
Set the range of dates the Choice activity will be available, or set conditions for completing other activities before the Choice activity will be available to each student. For more information on these settings, see Control Access to Resources and Activities in Moodle.
Note: These settings operate separately from the Restrict answering to this time period settings above. During the restricted period the activity is hidden from students on the course page.
- Set the range of dates the Choice activity will be available, or set conditions for completing other activities before the Choice activity will be available to each student. For more information on these settings, see Control Access to Resources and Activities in Moodle.
Click on the Activity completion heading to view and adjust the settings.
Note: Activity completion settings are only visible if Completion tracking is enabled for the course. To enable this setting, on your main course page, in the Administration block, click Edit Settings and scroll down to the Completion tracking heading.
- Select how activity completion will be tracked for the activity. If enabled, a check box will appear on each student's course page, allowing students and instructors to view progress completing course activities. Options are for no tracking, for students to manually mark an activity as completed, or for completion to be marked when particular conditions are met. If you select this third option, check the conditions you wish to apply from the options listed.
- Click Save and return to course or Save and display.
- Click the link to the Choice activity to open it. The Choice contents page will open showing the question text you provided when you set up the activity, and a list of the specified allowed choices (i.e. you can cast your own vote).
- At the top right you will see a link "View # responses," where # is the number of submitted responses. Click the View responses link to view the responses. The Responses page will open, showing the answer choices, the number of students who picked each one, and, under each answer, a list of names of the students who picked that answer.
On the Responses page (optional):
- To delete a user's response, select the checkbox to the left of that user's name. Then, from the Choose an action... menu below, select Delete.
- To download submitted responses, click the Download in ... format button. You can download the responses in Excel, text, or ODS (OpenDocument Spreadsheet) formats.