Moodle makes it easy to keep track of your course’s online discussions by using email notifications. However, improper settings can result in too many emails. This page shows you how to control these notifications and keep your inbox uncluttered.
There are two places where you need to keep track of your settings: your personal profile settings that control settings for all of your classes and individual forums you want to follow.
Every Moodle user has the ability to control how they receive email notifications from Moodle. To customize these settings:
- To access your profile settings, navigate to the Administration block, click My Profile Settings then Edit profile. The Edit profile page will open.
On the Profile settings page, click Preferences. Click the Email digest type drop-down menu to select how Moodle will send you notifications when you are following discussions. You have the following options:
- No digest (single email per forum post)
- Complete (daily email with full posts)
Subjects (daily email with subjects only)
Note: By choosing Complete or Subjects you will receive one email per day with notifications from Moodle. If you choose No Digest, you will receive an email every time a classmate or instructor posts to discussions you are following.
- Immediately beneath this menu, click the Forum auto-subscribe drop-down menu to select how you will follow discussion forums on your course page. Moodle will automatically subscribe you to forums where you have posted. We recommend that you set this option to No: don’t automatically subscribe me to forum discussions.
- At the bottom of the page, click Update profile to finish making changes.
Manage the Discussions You Follow
When you are posting or replying to a topic in a discussion forum, you can control notifications from that particular discussion. Below the Message text box click the Discussion subscription drop-down menu to select whether you will receive email notifications.
- Select I don’t want to be notified of new posts in this discussion if you do not want any email notifications of future posts.
- Select Send me notifications of new posts in this discussion if you would like new posts and replies sent to your email address.
Note: If you are subscribed to a forum it means you will receive email copies of forum posts. Usually you can choose whether you are subscribed, though sometimes a subscription is forced so that everyone receives email copies of forum posts. For example, this is the case for the Announcements/News Forum on your course, which sends emails by default. Other forums may be set to force or prevent subscriptions based on what your instructor/facilitator has selected.
Tip: If you find yourself receiving email you don't want, follow the link at the bottom of any email to unsubscibe from that forum (if optional).