Invite your guests to use the UMass Amherst wireless network! UMass faculty and staff can use SPIRE to create temporary accounts for visitors who need to access the wireless network on campus.
Note: At this time, this service is limited to faculty and staff; graduate student instructors cannot create guest accounts.
About Guest Wireless Accounts
- 3 accounts, 3 days: UMass Amherst faculty and staff can create up to three accounts at a time. Each account is valid for 3 days. If you need an account that is valid longer than 3 days, please have your guest(s) fill out a Courtesy Account (NENS) form.
- UMass faculty and staff are responsible for their guests' activities on the network.
- Wireless Access Only: Accounts can ONLY be used to access the UMASS wireless network. Guests will not be able to access the eduroam wireless network or other UMass Amherst computing services (e.g., library databases, computers in IT computer classrooms, etc.) using this account information.
- Passwords: UMass Amherst IT does not keep a record of guest passwords. Passwords are included in an email sent to your campus email address when you create an account.
- Getting Help: Guests experiencing trouble accessing or using the network should contact their account sponsor. The account sponsor can contact the IT Help Center (413-545-9400) on their behalf.
Set Up a Guest Wireless Account
- From the SPIRE Menu, go to IT Accounts > Manage Guest Accounts.
On the Guest Wireless Accounts page:
- In the Guest Name field, enter your guest's full name.
- In the Password field, enter a password for this guest account. The password must adhere to the IT Account Password Rules.
- In the Re-type password field, enter the password again.
- Your Guest Account has been created! Take note of the Guest User Name and Password. Print this page for your records. This account information also gets emailed to your campus email address.
- Give your guests the printout of the confirmation page or forward them the email you received when you created their account.
Connect to the UMASS Network
- Ensure that you are in a wireless coverage area and your wireless card is enabled. (You should be able to see UMASS listed as an available network)
- From your list of available wireless networks, select UMASS.
- Open your Web browser. The UMass Wireless Network Login page will open.
On the UMass Wireless Network Login page:
- In the NetID field, enter the username from your confirmation email.
- In the Password field, enter the password from your confirmation email.
Note: The UMASS wireless network does NOT use WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) and is not encrypted.