The UDrive Sharing Wizard lets you share files and folders with members of the UMass Amherst community, with select non-UMass users, or with the public.
When you share files with non-UMass users, UDrive automatically creates a ticket that grants them access to the content you wish to share for a set period of time (30 days by default). For more information, see About Tickets, below.
- Log in to UDrive with your Net ID & password.
- Check the box next to the name of the file or folder you wish to share and, on the toolbar, click Share. The Choose Users screen will open.
The Choose Users screen lets you search for users at UMass Amherst or add the email addresses of non-UMass Amherst users so they can access your UDrive content:
- To share content with UMass Amherst users, in the Choose Users field, enter their UMass Amherst email addresses. Some Operating Systems may require these separated by commas.
- To share content with non-UMass Amherst users, in the Choose Users field, enter their email address(es). Some Operating Systems may require these separated by commas.
To search for UMass Amherst users, click Search for Users. The Find User screen will open. Enter the name or part of the name of the person or group you wish to find and click Find. From the list of results, select the desired user(s) and click OK. You will return to the Choose Users screen where the person(s) you chose will be listed.
Note: When searching for users, replace any spaces with asterices (*) (e.g., Jane*Doe).
- To share content with a group (e.g., students in a class or a team of co-workers), you must first create one. On the UDrive main page, click Setup (top, right) and go to My Contacts > Groups > New Group, then search for and add users to your group. Groups you create will show up as search results in the Find User window when you enter all or part of the group's name.
- Click Next (bottom right). The Verify Permissions screen will open.
On the Verify Permissions screen, select the level of access you wish to provide to the people with whom you are sharing:
- Select Viewer (Read-Only) to let people see, but not modify your content.
- Select Contributor (Read, Write, Delete) to let people see, modify, or erase your content.
- Select Full Access (Read, Write, Delete, Administer) to let others see and edit files or folders and administer them (i.e., change permissions, share with others, etc.). Full Access may not be available to all users. Note: If you are sharing a file or folder with non-UMass users, UDrive automatically creates a ticket to give them access to your content. (See About Tickets below for more information).
- When you have set the desired permissions, click Next (DO NOT CLICK FINISH YET). The Send Email screen will open.
The Send Email screen lets you email a link to the files your are sharing. To remove users from the message, click the X icon next to their names. Review the subject and the content of the message and make any necessary changes, then click Finish. UDrive will send out an email to these users and you will return to the main UDrive screen.
Note: If all recipient email addresses are removed, you will need to click Back to go to the Verify Permissions screen, then again click Back to go to the Choose Users screen. Once on the Choose Users screen, continue with Steps 3.
If you are sharing a file or folder with non-UMass Amherst users, UDrive automatically creates a ticket that gives them access to this content for a limited period of time (30 days by default).
To modify the options for a ticket, in the Sharing Wizard, on the Verify Permissions screen, next to Ticket Options (lower left), click the Open Ticket Options icon (black triangle). A new set of options for your ticket will appear.
Note: The Ticket Options icon will only appear when you share content with non-UMass Amherst users.
- To create a ticket without using the UDrive Sharing Wizard, right-click the file or folder for which you would like to create a ticket and go to Manage > Tickets, then, on the Tickets screen, click New Ticket.
- To view or edit your current tickets, click the Reports & Tools tab, then check the box next to the ticket you wish to modify and click Edit.