As of Fall 2013, all undergraduates use Apps at UMass Amherst for their University email.
Note: These instructions follow the version of the software noted above. For other versions, there may be some variation, but the information below should serve as a guide to get you started. To identify the version of your software, look for the About link in the software's main or Help menu.
Open Thunderbird. The first time you launch Thunderbird after installing it, the Mail Account Setup will open.
Note: If you are not opening Thunderbird for the first time, go to Tools > Account Settings... and from the Account Actions drop-down menu (bottom, left), select
Add Mail Account...A window identical to the Mail Account Setup window will open. You can now follow the instructions below.
In the Mail Account Setup window:
In the Your name: field, enter your name.
Note: This will appear in the From field of your outgoing messages.
In the Email Address: field, enter your UMail address
- In the Password: field, enter your IT Account password.
- In the Your name: field, enter your name.
Click Continue. The window will expand to show more options and a message saying that Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account will appear:
- In the Username: field, enter your IT Account NetID.
- In the Incoming: field, enter mail-?.oit.umass.edu where ? is the first letter of your IT Account NetID. For example, if your NetID starts with the letter J, enter mail-j.oit.umass.edu.
- From the drop-down menu next to the Incoming: field, select IMAP, then change the adjacent number from 110 to 993. From the drop-down menu at the end of the line, select SSL/TLS.
- In the Outgoing: field, enter mail-auth.oit.umass.edu, then change the number in the field next to SMTP from 25 to 465.
- Click Re-test Configuration. Thunderbird will verify your settings. If successful, two green dots will appear next to the Incoming: and Outgoing: fields.
- Click Create Account. A window will open asking if you want to make Thunderbird your default email client. Depending on your preference, click OK or Cancel.
- To view your email messages in Thunderbird, click Get Mail (top left). Then, to check that your outgoing mail settings are correct, use Thunderbird to send a message to your UMail address. The message should appear in your Thunderbird inbox.
Congratulations! Thunderbird is now configured to send and receive messages with your UMail account.
Now that you've finished setting up Thunderbird to access UMail, we suggest that you configure your software to Look up UMass Amherst Email Addresses with Thunderbird for Linux.